Sunday 10 April 2011

Day 2: Glos 343, Derbyshire 157 & 30-0: Debutant Norwell routs Derbyshire

This post follows on nicely from the theme established by Andy's Day 1 recap yesterday. Some days you are up and others you are down. Today was an up day! The match situation changed dramatically on Day 2, as Gloucestershire's last wicket put on a remarkable 76, with David Payne unbeaten on 46. The stand took Glos up to a creditable 343 all out after losing Saxelby in the second over and Jon Batty early in the day with the score on 263.

I have to say that sitting at home, listening to the boys at Glos Cricket Radio and checking Cricinfo while helping out in the garden, I was amazed at how easily the runs seemed to come for Glos. I'm not sure about the quality of the Derbyshire attack, but the fact that they used 8 bowlers to dismiss a side that were 65-5 on Day 1 does not bode well for the season ahead. Obviously as a Glos fan I was delighted though!

Once Derbyshire were in to bat, the question was whether our new look seam attack (read: cheap and cheerful) could take any wickets. Brilliantly for Glos, the answer was yes! Liam Norwell, in the words of Gloucestershire la la la, 'a big lad with broad shoulders... charged in and hit the deck hard.' In a hilarious capitulation, Derbyshire collapsed and were bowled out for 157! Checking Cricinfo on my phone as I dug over a border (another quirk of a long-distance supporter/saddo), I was delighted. The regular score updates I provided to my Dad were met with chukles of glee as we debated whether Derbyshire were even worse than us!

I have to admit I do take some issue with the optimistic view of the Glos Cricket Radio team though. They felt that Norwell's performance signalled the emergence of a new and decent seam bowling attack: 'Any fears that Gloucestershire had lost their brilliant bowling attack were allayed on day two at Bristol as a new crop came to the fore.'

While I admire their positivity, I have to say that my view is simply that Derbyshire are an awful batting side. The standard of play in Division 2 can be pretty woeful and Gloucestershire have had the fortune of encountering a poor Derbyshire side at home in their first game. Norwell, David Payne and Ian Saxelby both went for over 4 runs an over. In a game where wickets are not falling regularly, this could lead to a run-fest for better batting sides.

That said, the new players (5 debutants!) do seem to have performed well. I write this as Glos have reduced Derbyshire to 86-3 just before lunch on Day 3 and are pushing for victory with the visitors still 100 behind.

Come on the 'Shire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis